Christmas Memories

General Chat
Gary Edwards
Forum User
Forum User

Christmas Memories

Post by Gary Edwards »

The festive season is upon us, so let’s reminisce.

Most stations would always try to put out extended programmes over the holiday period. The DTI are on holiday and so are most of your jocks so it’s all so much easier. Even the once a week stations would be on for a few days.

I have great memories of listening to County and UK over Christmas. You would not only hear the regular jocks, but usually some others who only popped up from time to time.

Sunshine was always fun too. James Harding would be on Christmas morning, usually accompanied by a bottle of Scotch!

Later on, I always enjoyed doing shows over Christmas. There was always a good atmosphere and great response on the phones.

Any more thoughts ?

Oh, and Happy Christmas to all! :happy144
cally
Forum User
Forum User

Re: Christmas Memories

Post by cally »

i remember one year i had a bottle of southern comfort for a prezzie and i was due on air at 12 (xmas day) i thought it might be fun to do the show whilst drinking the bottle.needless to say it was a great show (i think) happy days!! merry xmas to you all
Scott Davis
Forum User
Forum User

Post by Scott Davis »

Ive done 4 big Christmas week broadcasts over the years, 2 with Exile, 2 with Groove.
Gotta say all were great fun, brilliant atmosphere in the studios!

First one was Christmas 1990, Exile from the Garage studio in Kingswinford, on all week from Christams day to new years.

The Second was Christmas 1993, Exile at its peak, transmitter up Eve Hill Flats, on from Christmas Eve to after new Years.

The third was Groove FM's very first broadcasts, .. on from boxing Day 1998 through to new year!

The forth big Christmas week broadcast I was involved in was Groove FM 1999, didnt come on until a couple of days after Christmas, but then on all week and over new years.

All four were great times!
Exile FM (1989 - 1994)
Groove FM (1998 - 2001)

https://youtube.com/@ExileRadio
Andy Hicks
Forum User
Forum User

Post by Andy Hicks »

There was also the one (attempted) christmas broadcast on Groove Scott.
Half way through a Neil Edwards show the TX blew up? I remember being there with Edds, and i have to say we scarpered pretty quickly.

3 hours on Xmas Eve if i remember rightly.
If you think I care, you're too far gone.
Dave
Forum User
Forum User

Post by Dave »

I reckon that was New Years Day 2001 - remember driving back from Kidderminster feeling like shit listening to that.... Was the year that Groove had been on over xmas on very low power playing the mix CD that had Santos - Camels in it over and over....
Scott Davis
Forum User
Forum User

Post by Scott Davis »

Yes, .. thought I wouldnt mention that Christmas broadcast :grin1 hehe
Exile FM (1989 - 1994)
Groove FM (1998 - 2001)

https://youtube.com/@ExileRadio
Dave
Forum User
Forum User

Post by Dave »

hey, you tried.... And that particular christmas no-one else did! :happy144
Gary Edwards
Forum User
Forum User

Post by Gary Edwards »

Thought I'd bump this thread to point out, there has been a Christmas update today.

There have been added 3 new recordings from Christmas 1983 to the Sunshine page, and 5 new recordings from Christmas 1998, 2000 and 2002 to the UK page.
Gary Edwards
Forum User
Forum User

Post by Gary Edwards »

Some Christmas recordings of Sunshine Radio have been added today.