R.I.P. Steve Wright

All your radio discussions in here. Feel free to talk about anything you like.
Mark
Forum User
Forum User

R.I.P. Steve Wright

Post by Mark »

Shocked and saddened to hear we lost Steve Wright

R.I.P. Steve - loved the show :(

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-68287707
Dave
Forum User
Forum User

Re: R.I.P. Steve Wright

Post by Dave »

Properly gutted - listened on and off since Radio 1 went on FM in 1988. I think you might be surprised how many "pirate" type people were cool by weekend and listened to Wrighty in the week.

There won't be radio like that again..
Gary Edwards
Forum User
Forum User

Post by Gary Edwards »

Dave wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:22 pm
There won't be radio like that again..
There won't indeed.

Whenever I was out on site in the week, whatever station I had on earlier, it was always Radio 2 after 2PM.

I always enjoyed the first half hour or so....just Wrighty playing records. Because he's best known for the "talky bits", people don't mention what a great straight forward jock he was.
fm man
Forum User
Forum User

Post by fm man »

what a true legend in broadcasting on radio 1 & radio 2 will be sadley missed used to love serious joking r.i.p steve wright
Dave
Forum User
Forum User

Post by Dave »

If you've not heard this one before:

The 2006 Powerhouse 106.8/Brylcreme Idents were recorded in what became "Steve's Studio" in Western House, now Wogan House in April 2006. The kit was there and brand new, but R2 hadn't moved yet.

18 years ago and seems like last week. Bloody hell.
sunrise
Forum User
Forum User

Post by sunrise »

Yes a real shame to lose such a radio icon. He truely was a legend.

The woman in charge of BBC R2 scheduling has a lot to answer for/should be throughly ashamed of herself/should be reasigned to something more her level, like managing stationary.

As an aside, attached is one of the jingles you mentioned dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Ted Bundy of Radio Forums.
sunrise wrote: I have the same points of view that I had 18 years ago, and everyone is still entitled to them.
Dave
Forum User
Forum User

Post by Dave »

sunrise wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:11 pm Yes a real shame to lose such a radio icon. He truely was a legend.

The woman in charge of BBC R2 scheduling has a lot to answer for/should be throughly ashamed of herself/should be reasigned to something more her level, like managing stationary.

As an aside, attached is one of the jingles you mentioned dave.
Hello mate, long time no speak! I still have the original Minidisc of those VOs, and one of Steve's Carts. Nothing to play it on, but who cares eh?