Help any of you guys good at building websites on wordpress?

Need Any Kind Of Support ? Here's The Place To Ask.
DanceRadioUk
Forum User
Forum User

Help any of you guys good at building websites on wordpress?

Post by DanceRadioUk »

Do any of you guys do or know anyone who is into building websites on word press? :rage

I currently have our main site on http://www.danceradiouk.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which is on moonfruit i have just done this one and has what we need i think, it has 2 chats as the xat one doesnt support mobiles but does bring us lots of people in, the other thing that looks strange is we have a both channels page we use this to cross promote the 2 channels and help fill both chats

We also have a app at http://www.danceradioukmobile.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which has this extra chat and 32k stream players
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve Marshall
Forum User
Forum User

Re: Help any of you guys good at building websites on wordpr

Post by Steve Marshall »

Ok first point about your current mobile version, when you click on a channel the popup window is too cluttered, I have just clicked on BoxUK and i'm presented with an "auto starting" stream, sorry don't like that! In my view it's upto the person to click play to start the stream, after all I might not want to listen to the stream right then I might be after your rota and a stream that auto starts will annoy me! Not saying i'm right on this, just my thoughts. In total on that page I have three players and a chat box, needs cleaning up, less it more ;)

One site and address should do it all, not multiple ones, once again just my thoughts, but I can see what you've done and can maybe see why you have it setup the way it is at present.

The Wordpress theme you have is miles better and cannot be compared. I have tried it on my phone and it displays ok and does appear to be responsive :happy144
However, just be aware of the size of your images etc as you'll find with a responsive template they can ruin it if they are too wide and you'll get a left to right scroll bar (personal bug bare).

Plan your homepage and other pages so you don't need to redesign them all again a few months time. Remember your visitor shouldn't be anymore than 3 clicks away from the content they want where possible. Think about what you do when visiting a website, people will NOT LOOK for something, it HAS TO BE EASY to navigate a site or they'll just click off your site and probably not return again. Look at other professional legal stations, BBC etc and see what they do, not saying copy them, but look at how you access content or streams etc etc Design your site, or access to your content in a similar way, after all their sites work as they cost thousands!

For more info on your Wordpress theme and it's functions refer to it's documentation ;)

DanceRadioUk
Forum User
Forum User

Re: Help any of you guys good at building websites on wordpr

Post by DanceRadioUk »

Thanks for your very constructive comments Steve, indeed i totally agree with most of it hence looking for someone to build a site for us based on the new word press template which has been started but the kind person helping cannot find the time to progress atm

The mobile app as such agreed needs scrapping and contains 3 players as on different phones only 1 of those work, on my ios it doesn't auto play at all so 3 players or it only works on 1 brand, trust me i have spent £100s of pounds on all the best plugins money can buy and we are at the point of it needing to be built properly

Having searched other stations websites 100's of them and asked all our listeners what they want from a radio web site i feel they need the following..

To listen to the live stream
To chat with friends
To find out when a presenter/DJ is on
To find out what track is playing now
To find out contact information for the station
To listen to an archived show

They need these things via all devices not just on pc, the chat side of this is of utter importance to me along with live interaction, if not why not just use soundcloud to listen to what you want when you want?

We fail on this in many areas but are also doing much better than most hence the reason by looking to invest in a good web builder to sort to enable to us to be at a higher level to enable us to easily handle 100s of listeners and chatters on our site when needs be

I am a totally believer in our website has to be as important as the link and rig set up on an FM station

So anyone fancy the job?

Cheers