Any interest for Nottingham material?

General Chat
Foo

Any interest for Nottingham material?

Post by Foo »

Hey Guys,

Just wondering is there any interest in Nottinghams pirate scene early 90's?

The likes of Rave FM, Power FM, Touch FM, Scene FM, Power FM, Horizon, Heatwave etc etc

Be interesting to know if anybody has anything from these stations.

Got a little bit myself id be willing to share in due course. :)
mix fm
Forum User
Forum User

Re: Any interest for Nottingham material?

Post by mix fm »

globe fm did it for me. very professional for a pirate station;
Steve Marshall
Forum User
Forum User

Post by Steve Marshall »

Hi Foo,
Yes we would love any content you've got from those stations. We do have a little bit on the site right now, just click on the stations tab and then go to East Midlands and grab away :-)

nickb333

Post by nickb333 »

Cosmos Radio, Centre Radio and Robin Hood Outlawed Radio from late 1980's early 1990s. Anyone remember these?

Cosmos Radio "opened their phone lines" after a broadcast 12th May 1987. The number 0602 622222 was a phone box located on the corner of Watcombe Road and Mansfield Road in Carrington! We drove down there but unfortunately too late to eyeball anybody!

Centre Radio used to TX from a location out by East Bridgeford. We went for a drive one Sunday afernoon and located their TX in a bush on a hill overlooking the Trent. Well camoflaged in bin liners and with a dipole taped to some wood. We left eveything in situ.

I knew the guys that ran RHOR and even gave them a few tips on TX building. There were plenty of 100MHz Pye transmitter modules available from Anchor Surplus on the Cattle Market and you could build a clean 25W TX amplifier using one of these.

Just working on my MP3s, some memories in there of late 80's stuff.
Nick B.
Englandshire, UK
Gary Edwards
Forum User
Forum User

Post by Gary Edwards »

There's a page on Centre Radio here:

https://www.thepiratearchive.net/centre-nottingham/
nickb333

Post by nickb333 »

Thanks for the Centre Radio link. I thought I might have a tape but nothing so far.

I've got two hours of Robin Hood and 4x 45 minutes of Cosmos Radio to upload somewhere.
Nick B.
Englandshire, UK
Gary Edwards
Forum User
Forum User

Post by Gary Edwards »

Jakeburnside1
Forum User
Forum User

Post by Jakeburnside1 »

Hi Guys

My book 'Loud, Proud and Illegal; Pirate Radio in Nottingham, 1986 - 1996' is doing the rounds on discount at the moment for just £5.99 delivered to your door as a paperback. Go to www.broadcastbrothers.co.uk with your credit or debit card at the ready. If not, search for it on Amazon and get the e book for £2.99 or something minus the photographs. Or there's a audiobook now as well for whatever Amazon feel like charging. The University of Nottingham have now got it in the library. Who'd have thought it? Cheers, Jake Burnside, formerly Horizon Radio PS may have some old Horizon shizzle on C90s in the loft somewhere. Not home at the mome, give me a bit of time, will see what I got.
Jakeburnside1
Forum User
Forum User

Post by Jakeburnside1 »

Hi Guys

And also, you might be interested to know that my brother and I (we both went on to become directors of ILR stations) staged an exhibition sponsored by Derbyshire County Council at the Buxton Museum in 2019. As part of it, we set up a recreation of an old pirate studio including a transmitter which had been 'confiscated' in the 1990s. We used some Horizon audio to 'illuminate' that. The exhibition took nearly 10,000 visitors whilst it was on and broke local records. Thought you might be interested. To find out more, check out the Facebook page for broadcastbrothers106.4 and dig back a few months. Cheers, Jake Burnside. And you really OUGHT to buy 'Loud, Proud and Illegal: Pirate Radio in Nottingham, 1986 - 1996. Cheers
nickb333

Post by nickb333 »

Thanks Jake I got mine earlier this week and recommended it to friend. We both knew Gadget and I'm pretty sure several other characters from both sides.
Nick B.
Englandshire, UK