Forum User

Re: Freedom 95.1

Post by Mark »

WayneN
Forum User
Forum User

Post by WayneN »

Yeah been busy and we have been testing a few systems you might hear a few tests over next few months. We are basically trying to bring back old skool stereo ( with seperation unlike to over processed crap nowadays that does not) this is proving a little tricky to link with the online system but we have done it with the 50watts keep checking for a video about that. We just need to tie that system into the big amps and bingo bango and 'were round about your area '
Dave
Forum User
Forum User

Post by Dave »

I thought old school Freedom stereo was a 19khz Pilot Tone and no MPX whatsoever ;-)
WayneN
Forum User
Forum User

Post by WayneN »

Lol occasionally But it was True Stereo especially when we had the Realistic Mixer with the Pan Pots on Mics on Earlier Tandy mixer The DJ was Both Channels n Live calls or studio mic Was always only the right unless someone plugged leads wrong way round. The Original Fr Fr Freedom Jingles Were made in stereo too Dont worry ive remade them in stereo so if it works be sure to Hear lots of RRRoger on the Right and L L Larry on the Left.
Steve Marshall
Forum User
Forum User

Post by Steve Marshall »

This will be interesting, bringing back old skool stereo i will await the result. Stereo is stereo though, no different today as it was 40 years ago. Don't forget if you are aiming to play everything unprocessed then you better choose your tunes carefully, as the vast majority of ones you get today are pre-mastered (processed) so looks like you'll need to dig out all that old vinyl and start ripping it yourself to get that authentic sound. As for having live calls only in the one channel, why? It won't sound good now just as it didn't then.... Will be good to hear the stereo Freedom jingles too, just like the ones are here on the site. The master tapes here are a direct copy of the originals which were made at the fridge, Enville street, Stourbridge when it was there, in fact i was present when the first batch were made in 1989. I assume however you've resampled them or Si B has, nothing wrong with that.
Good luck anyway.

fm man
Forum User
Forum User

Post by fm man »

used to use the stereo encoder from the studio band 1.no good too much hiss. so had the option on the link transmitter to put it on mono. we was the first birmingham station to have rds due to our man behind the scenes top bloke; then we had the encoder built into the rig to see if it would give true stereo; still crap. so we give it a miss. mono goes further, offcock or rig thiefs will get it anyway; i used pre emthis on our rigs perfect audio every time.good luck lads still havent picked you up,,
WayneN
Forum User
Forum User

Post by WayneN »

Yeah Problem is with Spotify or Amazon or where ever ya download Music it is processed to hell so it sounds nice on an Alexa spy device or phones etc etc . So Bang on Mr Marshall ya gotta build ya collection from original sound dont need to resample vinyl just find original cd versions to be honest im a queen fan so if queen is on Freedom good chance its gonna be orignal version dont think i will have patience to do everything LOL. Found 3 ways of running stereo and making it sound better than BCR or BEACON. Easiest way a Chinese fm module but this will block any rds need to go old skool put the encoder and rds as last step on the rig and send ya audio to it in stereo with simple limiter and compressor (NOT STEREO TOOL this is too much).
I got a few videos of it working to post somewhere just gotta edit my fat face outta em LOL Easiest option is listen on the Online stream
WayneN
Forum User
Forum User

Post by WayneN »

Oh yeah doubt you will hear it im testing it in Rotterdam
Steve Marshall
Forum User
Forum User

Post by Steve Marshall »

There is nothing wrong with Stereo Tool at all, you just need to know how to set it correctly and that isn't easy as there are so many settings. The same can be said about any and all processing, its not what you use, its how you set it up ;)

The next thing with processing is what you are hoping to achieve, if you want a totally unprocessed output, then you will sound awful driving around in a car as every little crackle will be heard because you've had to turn up the volume....

Sounding better than BCR, well they have their two transmitters out of sync don't they, so that probably isn't too hard tbh.

WayneN
Forum User
Forum User

Post by WayneN »

Yeah Stereo Tool is tricky to use i have it working no problems but its beyond my ears now and is clipping somewhere .When its on It should be Processed and Louder than BCR, Beacon, etc but still with old skool seperation got it working just 1 part dont like going anywhere near the other part in fact over 100w it freaks the voltage regulators on the case out to.
Dream Uk , Kriss & Everyone said it dont work nowadays so its a challenge now , it did work ive done it before so why wont it work now a lot is to do with the BS412 clipping in Stereo Tool im about close as i can get if anyone wants a Nice Stereo Tool Preset ideal for processing 192k stream to rig im sure i could share